J.D. Power’s annual North America Airport Satisfaction Study ranks airports on a scale of 1,000 points based on customer satisfaction. The study was based on 27,147 surveys completed by U.S. residents and Canadians between August 2022 to July 2023. It measured overall traveler satisfaction with large North American airports by evaluating six factors:
Airport accessibility (getting to the airport/leaving the airport)
- Check-in/baggage check (as applicable)
- Security check
- Food, beverage and retail
- Terminal facilities (concourses, lounges, signage, restrooms and gate areas)
- Baggage claim (as applicable)
- No. 1 large airport in North America: Tampa International Airport
For the second year in a row, Tampa International Airport is the best large airport in North America based on customer satisfaction with a score of 832/1,000.
In 2021, CN Traveler ranked the airport in the top 10 in America and in 2020, Airports Council International named it the best airport in North America for its size, according to the airport’s website.
The Florida airport services more than 90 nonstop destinations across multiple airlines, including American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, JetBlue and others.
Tampa International Airport in Florida is ranked as the best large airport in North America.
Tampa International Airport (TPA)
- John Wayne Airport, Orange County (SNA)
- Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC)
- Dallas Love Field Airport (DAL)
- Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU)
- Sacramento International Airport (SMF)
- William P. Hobby Airport (HOU)
- Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport (MSY)
- San Antonio International Airport (SAT)
- Calgary International Airport (YYC)
- The John Wayne Airport in Orange County, California, ranked as the second-best large airport in the U.S. with a score of 829/1,000. The California airport was renamed in 1979 in honor of the actor John Wayne, who lived in nearby Newport Beach and died that same year.
According to the Newport Beach government website, as of 2022, SNA handles more than 11.3 million annual passengers and approximately 130 commercial flights, not including General Aviation flights, per day.
What to do if your flight gets canceled: ‘Use every tool in the toolbox,’ says travel expertSalt Lake City International Airport is the third-best large airport in North America with a score of 825/1,000. Fox13 reports that the Utah airport surpassed the previous record of 26,421,401 passenger counts set in 2019. Salt Lake City International Airport was ranked No. Cirium, a company that analyzes aviation data, ranked Salt Lake City International Airport No.
Sign up for our new newsletter!
Want to earn more and land your dream job? Join the CNBC Make It Your Money virtual event on October 17th at 1 pm. Learn how to improve your interviewing and negotiating abilities, create your dream career, increase your income, and grow your wealth.
Register for free today.