Moving houses is exciting, but can be stressful, particularly if it’s your first time. It can be daunting to pack and organize, but you have to do it! Your new home awaits…
Below, we’ve compiled some useful information about how you can make your house removal as stress-free as possible, as well as other top tips and budget friendly advice. If you’re renting, you may need to submit a notice of intent. If you’re renting, you may need to hand in a notice of intent.
Start to pack away things you don’t frequently use
- , keeping them hidden (such as in a garage or loft) so they don’t get in the way during house showings.Once you have a moving date, decide on whether you’re planning to make the move yourself, or hire moving specialists. You’ll need to start requesting quotes. Hire moving specialists only after you’ve set a moving date. If you don’t want movers, you’ll need to think about renting a van
- and asking friends or family for help.Continue to
- pack upeverything other than essential items right up until the last few weeks before your move. You should update your address information and cancel any services associated with the house you are leaving. Notify your local council, GP, employer, and phone and internet service providers. Keep all documents important to your move in one place so that you can easily access them. As you pack, clean all rooms in your house and cancel your homeowner’s insurance. If you are driving your van, confirm the route that you will take to reach your new house. The night before moving day, move all of your boxes to be as close as possible to the front entrance. It will be easier to move your boxes to the van if they are all in the same place and near the front door. You should go through the entire house, checking under beds, in cabinets and drawers
- and anywhere else you may have forgotten things. Once everything has been unloaded in your new home, unpack the essentials…then relax!Remember that pets and plants will need additional care during the moving process, so don’t forget to take the necessary steps to ensure they get to your new home safely.Tips for a stress free house removal
- Moving homes is an undeniably stressful experience, due to the fact that there’s so much to do, and often not that much time to do it! The tips below will help you to have a stress-free moving experience. Stick to a schedule for moving and create a timeline. Moving is a long and laborious process. It involves decluttering, creating an inventory, and packing and unpacking. Rushing things can cause items to break and for you to get burnt out and hyper-stressed.Declutter! Go over your belongings and decide what you need and what can be donated or sold. This will cut down on the time it will take you to pack, move and unpack all your things, and will also help you feel more organised and in control.Create a packing system, then stick to it. For example, you might want to label each box by contents, or by the room it’s going in. Decide on a schedule of when you will pack up each room. Any system that will help you unpack things further down the line will save you time and energy.Consider using a professional removal company. If you can, a professional removal specialist will take the stress out of your move by ensuring all your things are packed and moved safely and efficiently. Post a job to Rated People and request a quote to find the best moving company. This will allow you to unpack things slowly without having to rummage through boxes. This will also give you time to unpack things slowly without rummaging frantically through boxes.
- The key things to include in your moving kit are: beddingtoilet paper
- toiletries towels work clothes pyjamasa first aid kit
- food for the next few daysbin bags antiseptic cleaning wipes
medicine pet food and necessities This will help you get through the first few days as you begin to slowly unpack your belongings to create your new home.
Moving on a budget
Moving can get expensive, but not if you know how to cut back on costs. Here are some tips to help you move on a budget:
- Sell unwanted items or donate themThe fewer things you own, the cheaper it is to move. You can reduce costs by getting rid of things you don’t use. Ask for multiple quotes.
- When hiring a moving company, do your research and compare prices. Post a job today to get started.FIND A MOVING SPECIALIST
- Don’t buy new boxesTry sourcing free boxes from friends, family or local stores. You may find that your loved ones have recently ordered something, so they have an extra box. The same goes for shops that receive a lot of deliveries. Do you know anyone who has recently moved? It might be worth reaching out to them.
- You can also get second hand boxes and discounted boxes online off of sites such as Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace and Freecycle.Move during off-peak times
- If you’re hiring a service, it often costs more during peak times such as the weekend and during holiday periods. To avoid higher rates, book to move when it’s quieter.Rent a van
If you’re not moving far, or don’t have a lot of stuff, consider hiring a van and doing the move yourself.
- Want expert help? Speak to a skilled removal specialist to get started.
- What do house removal companies do?
- House removal companies provide a range of services that go beyond simply moving your belongings from one location to another. You can get help with packing and they can even provide boxes, tape or bubble wrap if needed. As part of their moving service, the moving company will load and unload your boxes from your door to their van. They will also return them. This includes really heavy furniture like sofas and televisions.
- If for whatever reason you don’t have somewhere to move your things to yet, a moving company can also move your things into storage, with many moving services offering storage solutions.
- When should you contact a removal company?
- You should contact your chosen removal company as soon as you have a confirmed moving date. Most of the time, you should contact your chosen removal company at least 8-12 weeks before the moving date. You will be asked about the size of your house, the distance to move, and any special requirements. The earlier you book the better your chances are of getting a good rate and the date you want. It will also make the overall experience less stressful.
- Ready to get started? Request a quote today.
- FIND A MOVING SPECIALIST
- What will removal companies not move?
- Removal companies will typically refuse to move hazardous or illegal items. It includes items that may put their staff at risk. You may need to get additional insurance to have your valuables moved by a removal company. Some removal companies will not transport documents such as passports or wills. Check out reviews and ratings, and ask friends and family for recommendations. Make sure you check their license and insurance policies
- Always request multiple quotes! We recommend at least three
Ask for a written contract outlining exactly what their service will provide, accurate timelines and costs
Thinking of hiring a removal service?
FIND A MOVING SPECIALIST
What is the average removal cost in the UK?
You can expect to pay anywhere from
to hire professional movers. The cost of local moves within 50 miles is lower, while long distance moves are more expensive. The cost will depend on how much you need to move and any additional needs you may have.